DEVELOPMENT WORKER VACANCY
Part-time 1.5 days per week, £7,500 p.a.
The Holme Valley Climate Action Partnership (HVCAP) is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation, registration number 1190733. It was registered with the Charity Commission in August 2020. Its charitable aims are as follows:
The promotion of the conservation, protection, and improvement of the physical and natural environment and promoting the prudent use of natural resources, in Holme valley and its environs, in South Kirklees, West Yorkshire, in particular by:
1) promoting good practice and raising awareness and educating the public about the causes and impact of climate change and climate change actions;
2) acting as a resource for community groups and initiatives to help and facilitate local climate action which will enable the community to adapt to and mitigate the adverse impacts of climate change.
3) promoting the study and research into the causes and impacts of climate change and making the useful results available within the community and beyond.
A memorandum of understanding has been agreed upon between HVCAP and Holme Valley Parish Council’s climate emergency committee. The two parties will work together to encourage and develop initiatives that help the parish towards the goal of becoming a net-zero emissions authority by 2035.
Funding has been secured to employ a staff member to develop HVCAP into an organization that can play a full and active part in achieving this goal.
Role, purpose, and responsibilities
Work with HVCAP Board Members and in consultation with Holme Valley businesses and community groups and the Parish Council Climate Emergency Coordinator to initiate carbon reduction and climate change mitigation actions, covering the following areas:
- Development of HVCAP’s relationships with businesses and local community groups
- Engagement of the community in climate change actions
- Encouragement of community-based carbon reduction and climate change mitigation initiatives
- Identification of “quick wins” which demonstrate that successful carbon reduction and climate change mitigation initiatives can be taken at a local level
- Development of a communications strategy for HVCAP
- Development of a fundraising strategy for HVCAP, including the production of a “case for support” document
- Work with Board Members to identify funding opportunities and draft funding bids for Trustee Board approval
- Education to degree level
- Familiarity with a broad range of interventions to reduce carbon emissions and/or mitigate the effects of climate change
- Experience in community development/consultation techniques
- Track record of organising successful events and activities
- Track record in submitting successful fund-raising bids
- Familiarity with a range of social media platforms
- Commitment to a collaborative way of working and partnership development
- Ability to spot opportunities for development and enthuse people to exploit them
- Ability to relate to the business sector as well as community groups and charities
- Ability to organize and prioritise workload
- Comfortable in working alone with the minimum of supervision
Terms and conditions of employment
Pro-rata to a base salary of £25,000 per annum, 37.5 hour week.
Contract for one year, 1.5 days per week = £7,500 per annum, £625 per calendar month. The post is home-based and you will be required to provide your own equipment. Hours to be worked flexibly to an agreed work programme.
Holiday entitlement 8.4 days
There is the possibility of an extension to the contract and an increase in hours, subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability. Any such developments will be discussed in the last month of the initial contract at the latest.
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability for the post and outlining your ideas for making it a success to:
Mike Williams, who is advising the Trustee Board on this appointment
Email email@example.com, or post it to
The deadline for applications is 16th July, interviews will be held shortly afterwards.
Please add “as seen on Holmfirth Events” within your application.