EventsClick here to view Events at this venue
More than just a train ride! The Kirklees Light Railway is situated in the village of Clayton West, near Huddersfield, in the picturesque foothills of the South Pennines. The railway runs for three and-a-half miles from Clayton West to Shelley and includes passage through the Shelley Woodhouse Tunnel which – at 467m long – is the longest tunnel on any 15” narrow gauge line in Britain!
Take a ride on the railway’s fleet of unique steam and diesel engines as they travel through the glorious surrounding countryside, let the kids run wild on the adventure playgrounds, browse the extensive gift and model railway shop or relax with a cuppa and cake in The Buffer Stop Café.
The main station at Clayton West has a full range of amenities to entertain you and your family while you wait for the train or after you return:
- The Buffer Stop Café serving hot and cold food and scrumptious cakes
- A small indoor play area within the cafe area has wooden railway play sets and other toys suitable for both girls and boys
- A gift shop selling a wide range of Hornby and Thomas & Friends products as well as other toys and souvenirs – with prices to suit a pocket money budget!
- A miniature railway – as well as Yorkshire’s Great Little Steam Engines, they have a Great Even Smaller Engine which takes passengers on a ride twice around the big duck pond. From time to time the Barnsley Model Engineers bring along some of their more unusual locomotives to take people on rides.
- Train-themed outdoor play area Kids can spend as long as they like playing on our big engine and wagons and on our two-storey fort, as well as swings and rockers for the less adventurous! The play area is compliant with all current regulations, and is fully fenced off and filled with soft bark chippings to ensure the safety of your children.
- Picnic area – you can either buy from the cafe or bring your own food to eat on sturdy wooden picnic benches. These are situated right next to the play area overlooking the duck pond, so you can keep an eye on the kids whilst finishing your lunch at your leisure!
- Engine sheds – when they’re not working, the engines stay in the engine sheds at Clayton West, on the other side of the turntable. Tours of the engine sheds can be arranged either in advance or, staff permitting, on the day.
- Large free car park – there is space for around 200 cars in the free car park
Shelley Station is the destination station and you can happily wile away an hour at the Shelley Tea Room, in the train-themed play area and sand pit, or eating al-fresco on the large picnic area
- Listing categories Attractions, Cafes and Tea Rooms, Card & Gift Shops, Dog Friendly Places to Eat in Holmfirth, Main Attractions, Places to Eat with Outdoor Garden in Holmfirth